Opprtunities for ENTC graduates in SL

Can I please know what kind of career/research opportunities are there for ENTC graduates in Sri Lanka?? Also, what are the kind of subjects taught in ENTC??

Hi,

Please check the “Modules” thread for list of general areas our students usually specialize in.

As per opportunities, I came into the department 3 years ago with the notion that there are not many job opportunities in Sri Lanka. However, when I coordinated internship opportunities from companies for the students of the department as one of the representatives last year, I found there is more demand than supply for the electronics engineers in Sri Lanka, many of them with very good salaries.

Here are few of the around 50 companies where we were able to get around 200 internship opportunities.

Telecommunications

• SLT
  • Dialog
  • Mobitel
  • Huawei

Electronics

• Airforce
  • Vega
  • Lanka Electronics
  • Senzmate

Digital Design, FPGA

• Paraqum
  • Synopsis
  • Wave computing

Robotics

• Zone 24x7
  • Future Drones

Biomedical

• Premium Bio labs

Software Engineering, Data Science

• WSO2
  • Forestpin
  • Codegen
  • MIT

Starting salary is a bit high in software engineering fields. However, the salary in Electronics and Telecommunications fields rise to the same levels within few years as you gain experience.

Also, Electronics is a rising field in Sri Lanka. Several new companies are being founded each year and they succeed. Our department encourages students to turn their ideas into startups when they graduate.

Higher Education

As the best Electronics and Telecommunications Department in Sri Lanka, ENTC offers both Masters and PhD degrees. For more information, check our handout from the other thread.

Every year about 10-20% of our level 3 students go abroad for 6-month research internships in leading univeristies and research institutes such as NTU, NUS (Singapore), CSIRO (Australia) and Institutes in the USA. Many ENTC students also get higher education opportunities in these places and other reputed institutes such as MIT (USA).

3 Likes

I believe saying truth for your junior students is the best way you can treat them to select the path for their future career…and most of the companies given above are working on software development and electronic students won’t find anything they studied during the previous 2 years…and just to mention most of the time SYNOPSIS takes electronic peeps just to fill up their excel sheet not for the FPGA projects​:joy::joy::joy:

Actually Synopsys is not a FPGA company. Its a verification group of an EDA company. There are very few projects which done on FPGA platforms but since in SL the main focus area will be Verification.

Refer to the Handbook - and you can come to our department and speak with the current students to get a clear idea about this.

In response to your reply, i am pretty sure that the 4 companies he has listed above actually do electronics. I have visited 3 of those companies and also know of graduates and batch mates who have worked there. So i believe he is saying the truth? I don’t see the point you are trying to raise here?

Regarding the other point, choosing the job in the software field is a personal preference, which any student is allowed to do. And “won’t find anything” is a pretty strong claim - are you currently working in the industry?

The companies he has listed as Software Engineering itself hire students from our department for there skills in Machine Learning and Algorithms etc. If you want references, i can provide you such graduates.

In summary, it would be helpful for juniors students if you state actual facts here instead of opinions and rumors.

Cheers,
Thanks.

1 Like

One more thing to note. There is this widespread myth that during internships students will do unique projects, by using all the knowledge they learnt in the first three years. There are some notable cases where our students are able to publish significant research papers…etc (2014 batch: Jathushan, 2015 batch: Naveen).

However, the 6-month internships are primarily designed and evaluated by NAITA to provide the student with exposure to the corporate / research environment and help to develop his/her soft skills and ability to work in a team / organization. We do not use all the knowledge gained in our first three years. I worked at DATA61 CSIRO (Australia) and the only time I used my previous knowledge was to debug a faulty circuit. I spent the rest of the time learning new things and applying them to build a robot for vision based autonomous navigation. My friends Samith and Hiran who worked with me had to spend several weeks learning D-H parameters by themselves, which are in fact taught in the final year.

Malli, I am a final year undergrad at ENTC who completed the internship at Synopsis last year. Six students (including myself) from our batch completed our internships there.

My project was related to machine learning: to design and verify of a massive processor using deep reinforcement learning. It was supervised by a US team (MW Califonia). Projects done by my friends include software development related to industry using EDA/issues in IC design.

However, some of our projects done by our students during internships were directly (or indirectly) software related. This does not generalize to the whole of the 6 month internship we received. Out of that negligible minority, most of them are small parts of a bigger project or the supplementary work which needs to be done in order to complete a project.

Meanwhile, since you brought a topic with internships, I would like to remind about the foreign internship opportunities had for the undergrads of our department in previous years. To be exact, 24 people got foreign internship opportunities in Australia, Singapore, United Kingdom and Japan in last year (>20% of all students). They worked in Robotics, Machine Vision, Internet of Things and Embedded Systems related projects.

Thank you for pointing this out. It would help other students with similar concerns as well. Cheers!

2 Likes