About phd after electronic degree

what is the idea of doing phd? I dont like to join acedemic. Does it affect to our salary? What are the paths after phd? What are the specializations to do phd? If i get an first class degree, can i get an scholarship to do phd???

Hi Dark_2019,

So a lot of people go abroad for a PhD right their degree from ENTC (about 10-15 immediately, and even more later), because the idea of studying on a full-schol in another country for 3-5 years sounds great. Also, after a PhD, most of the jobs you do will be more researchy: aka quite interesting. But actually, you should do one, if you are interested in learning about some area more, and conducting research.

You could do a PhD in pretty much anything: it’s best that you love the field of study you pick. Having a PhD opens up research oriented jobs in top companies across the world, which means necessarily higher salaries and more freedom / creativity at work.

Also, a good idea is to do an internship abroad where you can work with a lot of people doing PhDs already. About 30 students in ENTC do this. I was at a start-up in Cambridge, UK and I got some great exposure, met a lot of people doing PhDs there, and really made a lot of decisions about my future plans after meeting people actually following the various avenues I was interested in.

At this stage, you need to pick an area that interests you (at least a little bit, it’s hard to be passionate about any field with barely any experience in it), and a department with a culture that you feel suits you the best.

Cheers,
Kanchana.

3 Likes

Just to fill in some parts Kanchana missed, yes a first class degree is definitely sure to get you a PhD, but in todays academic arena, there is a concept called ‘Qualitative’ over ‘Quantative’. This is means it matters for them to evaluate you on your qualitative achievements like research papers, international achievements, research exposure, English language skills, international collaboration etc. as much as it matters to have a good GPA, good GRE scores etc.

Check this out!

So have a plan on where you wanna go and what you wanna do. ENTC is a really great place to meet individuals who are like minded and willing to share with you.!

2 Likes

salary after phd increased??? Why is it important to do phd?

Hey,

Since we are still undergraduates, we cannot provide a highly accurate answer for this. However, during our internships and research experiences, we have had the chance to meet, work and interact with various academics and professionals who hold a PhD. Based on my experience in interacting with them I can state the following.

1) What is the idea of doing a PhD?

Basically, PhD can be thought of as a 4-6 year commitment to full time research. (In US it usually takes around 5-6 years while in Europe and Australia you can complete the PhD within 3-4 years). You get to pick an area of interest and sometimes you have the luxury of choosing a desired supervisor(s) too. After your topics have been confirmed (most probably after a confirmation seminar in the first year of your PhD), you can start work on the area that you chose firmly. Along the way, you get present your findings and experimental methods in various conferences and journals. In addition, you would have the opportunity to participate summer/ winter schools and workshops which would help you enhance your knowledge pool related to your area of choice. And your progress would be reviewed a few times throughout out the PhD duration. Finally, towards the end of the PhD, you have to write up a thesis with detailed descriptions of your experiments and results which has to be submitted to a panel who would evaluate it. If they are happy with your work, then good news! You get to add “Dr.” in front of you name :smiley:

I must add the following as well : PhD is not an easy commitment from what I have seen. It requires a lot of dedication and you have to keep your head straight as you’d have to face some ups and downs on the way. But if you select a good area of interest and perform well, it would be priceless not only for you, but also for the entire scientific community.

2) What are the paths after a PhD?

There are many.

Becoming a Post-Doc
If you are willing to get involved in more research after the PhD, you can apply for a post-doc position in the same lab that you did your PhD or in another lab which is related to your area of interest. In the labs that I worked during my internship, there were many post-docs who were alumni of the same lab. And the pay depends on the grants received by the lab and probably according to your seniority (Might be different in other places)

Lecturing
Some prefer teaching apart from their research work. So they tend to join academic departments and strike a balance between lecturing and research.

Going to the Industry
This is also very common among PhD holders. Some do not prefer engaging in research or academia and therefore they can head to an organization to work. For example, most PhD holders from the areas of ML and Computer vision tend to join firms like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc. Since they are specialized in a given area, they are likely to be hired as consultants and generally the salaries would be higher for them.

Starting your Own Company
This is also very popular.

A Hybrid of all (or some) of the above
And some prefer having bits from all of the worlds. There are many PhD holders who actively engage in research and academia but also have started their own companies to provide services. (I think Deepmind Inc. was like that?).

So as you can see, there are many paths that you can take after you complete the PhD.

3) What are the specializations that one can choose for his/her PhD?

This mostly depends on the interests of yours and where you want to be in the future. Make sure that you select something that you are passionate about. Like Kanchana said, it’s good to have a slight idea at this level and be more knowledgeable in that area in the coming years of your undergrad phase.

4) Do I need a first class?

I don’t think it’s an absolute necessity. If you have one, it’s great because life would be easier then. But even if you don’t, if you can prove that you have a good a research exposure, you’ll be able to enroll for a good program.

I encourage you to talk to a few PhD candidates and PhD holders to collect more details regarding your questions. Before concluding, I’d like to show you the following image which nicely outlines the idea of a PhD :wink:

2 Likes

I was not good at electronics in AL .So will it affect my studies if I get in to ENTC.And I want to study aircraft engineering and astrophysics so will I be able to study these fields if I get in to ENTC or should I go to aerospace in mechanical department. And I don’t like to work in industry so will I be able to do researches and could I earn a good income by doing researches

2 Likes

Hi,

Kindly do not judge Electronics based on GCE A/L physics. Most schools and tution teachers do not teach Electronics part properly and do not do the experiments. Some of us (including myself) were not good at AL Electronics.

I’m not sure if you can do higher studies in aerospace engineering, since it involves a lot of mechanical engineering and physics. Mechanical is a very wide field and I think it will be difficult to go into that after doing a different foundation degree.

However, you can do a masters in avionics after doing BSc here, since we learn about circuit design, signal analysis, transmission…etc (see Modules thread)

1 Like

Hi,

You should definitely talk to someone of aeronautical - the first batch is in there final year now, and will give you a great opinion on this. Maybe talk to Shenal Dilanga or Denithra Annasiwatta or some one else from the final year batch.

2 Likes

Can we do a PhD or other higher studies after working sometime in industry? Will we still be eligible for scholarships in those programs?

Yes of course. Last year I met a Spanish guy called Jose Maria (38 years old in 2018) who has worked 10 years in the IT Finance Industry and decided to quit and is now doing his PhD in robotics at IIT, Italy while interning in a Startup in Tokyo, and is also living with his Girlfriend and they had their first child together while he was doing his internship. So I hope this answers your questions in every possible way that it can be answered. There are no barriers if you have the will.

1 Like

Thank you for your valuable clarification

Isn’t it necessary to have a master’s degree before PhD? I’ve seen so many PhD opportunities being advertised but almost all require a master’s degree to apply.

Hi,

I think Dr. Ranga (@ranga) and other lecturers could give you a great answer for this based from experiences of their own and their past students. I and my batch-mates would also like to know more since we are also interested. :slight_smile:

From what I know, I think it depends on where you go for your higher studies and well as which college you apply to. For example, My Brother is doing his PhD now after completing his Undergraduates last year, in Osaka University. But I have met some students from Canada and Singapore who doing their Masters currently after finishing their Undergraduate Studies.

Thank you!